Sunday, October 12, 2014

Real Talk: Rejection

Looking at my college experience so far, I could say there have been more misses than hits, so to speak. Since my first month as a freshman here, I've tried out for musicals, dance companies, poetry readings, creative writing awards, and a tutoring job, all to no avail. I entered every audition and sent out every application full of hope, only to face disappointment upon reading that rejection email. I will admit that I first handled these setbacks less than gracefully, usually crying and thinking back to my seemingly more successful high school career. Rejection is an ugly burden to deal with, as it causes us to do something most people hate doing - reflect on our own flaws. Why didn't I get that job, or get a part in the musical, or win that creative writing award? Where did I go wrong?

This year, I can say I've definitely matured to the point of being able to handle rejection. Of course it's always disappointing to lose out on something you were hoping to win. But honestly, every person is different, and so is every situation. You may be a terrific writer, but just not what the judges are looking for at that moment in time. Maybe you're a fantastic singer and there just isn't a role for you in the musical you auditioned for. I think it is important to deal with rejection every now and then, not so we criticize our weaknesses, but so that we can reevaluate our strengths and emphasize those in our next endeavors. Maybe my resume was impressive, but my interviewing skills left a little to be desired. Once you can pinpoint where you succeed and where you may fall short, you can feel more confident the next time you try something new. 

I'm about to send out an application to write for a website. I'm slightly terrified, because I know many people apply for this position and I'm less experienced than some of the other applicants will be. But I'm eager to see if I get the position and, if I don't, how I can improve my writing skills and resume for next time. Good luck if any of you are trying your hand at something new. Don't be afraid to take that risk!

No comments:

Post a Comment